Wednesday 30 January 2013

Waking Up in A3

I don't remember anything between being knocked out in the ambulance to waking up the next morning in a trauma ward, ward A3, in Addenbrookes.  I vaguely remember the act of waking up and pulling a tube from my mouth, although that may be my brain recalling a scene from the original Matrix movie.

The whole day currently seems like a blur, however I remember my brother and mother being there on the day.  I remember having sausages and mash for dinner and peeing though a catheter; as I mentioned before this is a guts and all blog ;-)

I remember a number of other patients being in the same room and talking to a nurse, whose name I cannot remember. UPDATE - her name was Becky (things are slowly coming back after a few months).

I've since been told that I went through emergency surgery on Day 0 as I lost a lot of blood, and that I was quite 'agitated' on arrival.  After questioning the surgeon, 'agitated' translates to trying to rip my breathing tube out and generally throwing a massive tantrum, all of which I don't remember!

Last memory of the day was being told I'd need another op the following day to look at and tidy up the renaming legs as much as possible.

This is the first image I remember seeing after waking up (so I took a photo!) - I wasn't particularly bothered by the sight and came to terms with what had happened almost immediately; whether that was the drugs, my mind not believing it or simply that I had taken it all in we'll never know.


No comments:

Post a Comment