Saturday 6 April 2013

First few weeks at home

OK Im now writing this blog from scratch, previously I was writing events in notepad and trying to upload when I had spare time, internet connection, battery, wasn't completely shattered, was in the right mood, etc etc, and 'the right time' never came up.  I also found the style of writing a bit too stylized.  Those that know me know that I'm not one to talk/write about myself a lot, both about feelings and generally, so that may have had an influence on the number of posts - however the number of people that have mentioned the blog and have been asking when the next post would be have made me continue writing it (if I can find out how to make one then there may even be an FAQ section at the end as suggested by a few people!).

Quick summary since last post - I've moved out of hospital and am now living back home with my mum.  I was planning to move out to my own flat in February, but then this happened and plans got put on hold.  I have rehab every Wednesday and Friday at Addenbrookes, currently get picked up at 09:00, get there for 10:00, in the Amputee Gym near Outpatients for two hours, then home for 13:00.  Having loads of visitors on other days of the week, local friends, work friends/colleagues, etc.  I'm currently living downstairs, sleeping in the front room and washing in the downstairs toilet or kitchen.  As mentioned earlier there is loads to fill up my spare time, filling in forms for benefits, replying to messages and emails, resting (not sleeping, just taking things easier after gym work).  Generally everything takes a third, or more, longer that it did before - basically I can only do one thing at once - for instance making a meal or drink takes longer as I can only carry one or two things at once and have to make several trips to the tap/table/kitchen cabinets etc.

People have said it may take a few weeks to settle back in to home life and I wasn't exactly sure what they meant.  After a few weeks I now know exactly what they mean.  'Settle in' doesn't mean 'get used to it being harder' or similar - I just know that during the last week I've literally felt more 'settled' (must think of a different word)...silly things like seeing the same view from the windows, going to the same fridge for a drink, sitting in familiar chairs etc have all become more 'normal' than they were in the first two or three weeks of being home.

Separate paragraph needed for this bit for emphasis.  My friends and family have been great.  Firstly my immediate family, mum (and Terry) for putting up with me during my more 'frustrating' times (I feel they are getting fewer!), cooking, cleaning (clothes, not me), shopping etc.  My brother, sisters, brothers in law, sister in law, and brother's wife's brother (brother in law?) for emails, support and hard work - pictures to follow.  My mates from back home for driving me everywhere and therefore enabling me to continue living the life I did before, get out of the house etc.  Work friends/colleagues for visiting, driving copious amounts of miles, getting lost and phoning for directions - thanks for the support on Thursday when I came to visit, and messages from those I missed.  Last but not least the three people that saved my life, who I've luckily been able to meet again on various occasions.  Thanks for letting me get tot know to you and sharing your thoughts and experiences, its definitely helped a lot.

That will do for this post, I need more photos in the blog so will probably do a separate post as a timeline of photos...suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment